Sunday, January 6, 2013

Day Five - Avignon

Rhone River Walk
Oil on Linen Panel    6 x 8"
My first trip to France was in 2009. I took a workshop with two of my favorite people, artists and teachers, Brigitte Curt and Jim Smyth. Our group was to rendezvous in Avignon to rent cars and drive to our destination in the more remote villages of Provence.
My first night there I was alone, having spent a wonderful 5 days roaming around Paris before taking the train down to Avignon. I decided to take a walk through the city and just at dusk I came to the Rhone River. Just north of this area is the famous Avignon Bridge (Pont d'Avignon).
I took a bunch of photos of the bridge, cobblestone streets, steeples, and market area. Then I tasted the best gelato in my life!
I'll plan to continue my theme of all things French and share more about Avignon as I paint my way through my French travels.

5 comments:

SYLVIANE said...

A nice rendition of the river!

Theresa Grillo Laird said...

Wow! Nice bold strokes!

Pam Holnback said...

Loving these all things French. the light on this one just pulled me right in!

Linda Nickles said...

Beautifuly painting! Your work is lovely. I was there on the Bridge in Avignon just last year... the views are spectacular.

Sara Wilson : Love in the Suburbs said...

Beautiful, Randy.