Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Day Eight - French Birdie?

Value Study on Linen   8 x 8"
No I did not paint a French subject today. And my day is done so it isn't going to happen. But paint I did!
I painted this little demonstration in my Oil Painting Class at the School of Light and Color today. We mixed grays and made a value scale, then we used our piles to paint a study. This was very quick and fun.

My belief is that if we learn to identify values first and then to see the value of color, we are half way there. I love having mixed grays on my palette. Just look at some of the old Russian masters, especially Nicolai Fechin. He used many grays in a dominant manner while using some vibrant color and WOW!
I am reading "The Art and the Life of Nicolai Fechin, by Galina P. Tuluzakova.

So get out the black and white, mix some grays and have at it. You can't go wrong.

Also, you don't want to miss Leslie Saeta's Blog Talk Radio Show tomorrow morning. She will be talking about the 30 paintings in 30 days challenge with Lisa Daria. Lisa has been painting a painting every day for four years.....! Leslie posted about it on her blog at  http://www.lesliesaeta.blogspot.com/

See ya tomorrow....

No comments: