Monday, September 1, 2014

Recent Inspirations - Day Two


"On the Road Again"
Oil on Linen Panel   8x10"
Available Here
Day two of the 30 paintings in 30 days challenge, I chose to paint a photo from a recent road trip to South Dakota. I was attracted to the pastel colors of the landscape passing by. I like the simple moving stripes of colors as they speed past the window.
A different and new subject for me, I am enjoying the view from the car window. Below I've uploaded some of the photos from the process of painting. I washed in the underpainting using my clear washy medium mixed with the transparent paint colors.




3 comments:

Easel Travels said...

Great thick and thins! enjoyed looking at your steps of progress too.

Unknown said...

Thank you Kelly. I am enjoying the challenge that I set for myself, to push the thick and thin. I love that I can manipulate the paint once I get it on the canvas. Lot's of unexpected things can happen if we just put more paint on the canvas. This seems to be a universal struggle, just getting the paint up there.
Sometimes we don't realize that it's okay to over do it, and then learn to take some off if it is too much, scrape and re-apply. Fun stuff!

Anonymous said...

Nice energy and texture, Randy! Those slight diagonals really give some vitality to the design! Bravo!