Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Progress Today

Looking Uptown, Oil on Linen
40x30" In Progress
Today I was able to get in the studio and cover the canvas. It helps to take a photo and then look at it on my monitor at the end of the day. It tells me what I need to know going back in tomorrow.

Two things I needed to see. First, the values are a problem. I will need to consolidate my value plan for sure first thing tomorrow. In other words, the mid-dark and mid tones do not have a clear shape that holds together. This is important and much harder to do on a large piece. Now that I see it I can fix it. I don't want the shadows to go too dark so I'm not surprised I have this problem. I need to focus on fixing the light areas (where the light is direct from the sun) and the mid tones (where the light is not direct). And then there is the reflected light to consider. This will be a subtle value difference because the values here are going to be close. I hope this makes sense.

Second, but related to the first problem, is that it is not clear where the sun is coming from. Unfortunately this is not an easy design for that reason. But the sun is up high in the sky, probably about noon time, and it is up behind the left side of the street. So the light side of the buildings need to be more apparent. This will be the challenge for tomorrow.

I also need to adjust some of the perspective issues, the angle of the cars and the road and some things like that. I was just happy to get the canvas covered today, while using plenty of paint that I can move around. As I said yesterday, I wanted to work wet into wet with this one so as to experiment a little bit. New for me on a large piece like this.

I have two of these going, but the other one has to wait until Thursday. Tomorrow I think I can finish this up, or get close.

I appreciate the feedback from yesterdays post Robert. It sounds like you are trying out the process of painting into a dry painting while I'm trying the wet to wet idea. Walnut oil is a good choice also I think. I have used it a lot.

The only reason I don't paint this way more often is that I don't get to spend long hours painting. Or I should say, it has not worked out for me. I have had some health issues to get past, and I am making progress with that, thank Goodness. Now, on a good day I can paint for longer periods, so hurray for that!

Can't wait to talk more about this one tomorrow night!

No comments: