Saturday, October 2, 2010

CABIN WORKSHOP SUNFLOWERS

Sunflowers & Cup in Window
Oil on Linen 16x20"
by Randy Blasquez

Well, I learned something from this little demonstration. I liked my painting a lot more at the earlier stages. I would not have noticed had I not taken all of those demo photographs. I might still go back in and move some edges around. Too many edges!
Anyway, at the workshop a couple of weekends ago, Kenzi snapped the photograph for this painting. We all painted it in last weeks class. It's funny because the more I paint from life the more I realize that I don't like painting from photographs. Even after this many years I tend to "copy" the photo instead of relying on my memory and the feel of the subject. Good reasons to paint from life.
I began with a wash of odorless mineral spirits and two paint colors. I used alizarine crimson and hansa yellow orange. I wanted a very warm and transparent wash to begin my lay in. No drawing here, just noting location of the subject and looking for a pleasing composition.

Here I just added my darks, using transparent red oxide, alizarine crimson and some blue for a dark. Still transparent.....
Also, you may notice that I wiped out my lights with a paper towel dipped in mineral spirits. I almost always use this technique.
I started adding color and some opaque colors. I relied on my premixed grays that I always add to my palette these days. I also mentioned to the class to continue to use your piles of paint and the grays that come from them. Use them all the way through the painting. Mix the colors that you've already been using into each other. This will insure that your painting will be harmonious.
Now, some local color, keeping the paint thin and almost dry on the brush at this stage. No medium or mineral spirits. Continue to lay in the LARGE value shapes of color until you have covered the canvas. It is easy to get too involved in one area of the painting that you like, and forget to continue covering the canvas. It is way too early to get involved......
After you have finished covering the canvas, re-evaluate and use your mirror. Walk away and come back to take another look. Is it a good time to make any changes in your composition, and to look at the music of the piece. Think about what you are trying to say. Look for the darks and lights to lead you through the painting. Is anything too centered??

Use more paint now. Use the most paint in the area of interest, in this case, the large sunflower that faces the viewer. Now, I need to go back and handle those edges!

1 comment:

Ellen Brandin said...

I like this painting very much, Randy.