Peak of the Harvest, Provence
15 x 30 Oil on Canvas
by Randy Blasquez
I finished another Provence painting and decided to post it. But I want to talk about Sergei Bongart tonight. Barnsite Gallery recently compiled these quotes from the book "Sergei Bongart" by Mary N. Balcomb.
"Every good painting has color that goes through it."
"Artist need to say something no one else has said."
"Don't try to paint Idaho and Montana on canvas; pick small spot, make more intimate painting."
"Good artist should be two people; one who paints and one who tells when finished. What you leave out is more important than what you put in."
"Never become an artist if you can't learn to draw."
"Paint for certain idea. Think about co-lor and design, not story. Real artist never paints story. Overstate, don't be afraid to say something loud and clear."
"The less inhibited you are the better."
"Painting is drawing with color and form."
"Exaggerate light. Work always big to small. First you paint apple, then you paint worm holes."
"Good art always has moment of surprise." Sergei Bongart

3 comments:
Hi Randy,
I absolutely love your painting. It is inspiring and the colors so beautiful! I love it1
Sergei's quotes are well said and so helpful, especially to my early path as an oil painter.
Thank you:)
Chris
Randy...I like your paiting very much. I especially like how it feels like light and space. The purples moving from foreground to background are just eelegant. Bravo!!!!
These Sergei quotes seeme to be from his mouth..there are no " An" in front of words....Artist needs to say something...how many pages is the book Randy?
f
Frank,
The little red book, "Sergei Bongart...touched by the gods!", is only about 100 pages or so. It is wire bound, like a notebook. It was published by Patricia leGrande Bongart, his widow. A compilation of lectures, conversations and quotes. Thank you for the complement on the painting. I'm still painting a little too pretty, that is my feeling about the painting. But it does have some other areas of success I think. I'm not so sure about the sky color and value. It seems to work looking at it, but in the photo I don't think it is working. I'm gonna continue working on this series...
Chris,
Thank you friend for your comment. It is nice that you did and thank you for the complement on the painting as well. You just keep on painting, okay?
Frank, ps Have you checked out Adventures in Faith and Art Blog in my sidebar? He is our Impact Ministries Pastor at Oak Hills and he just published his first book through Moody. "Imagine That"
R
Post a Comment