Monday, September 28, 2009

The Artist's Way

I promised a review of the book, "The Artist's Way". I've had the book for a number of years. Having heard a number of wonderful comments about it, I bought it while on vacation and looked through it but never had an inclination to do the work it requires. Anyway, I didn't need to be inspired. I wanted to paint everything at the time.
Having gone through that phase, and feeling a little stuck in my work lately (actually for a while now) I bought the author's new book, "Walking in this World", the audio version. I've been walking and was looking for some material that would inspire me. "Walking in this World" turned out to be a perfect listen. It's really kind of a continuation of "The Artist's Way". I decided to do the work.
It's only a few excercises, and a few more suggested writing ideas. The first, and most important is "Morning Pages". Morning pages is what she calls it, but all you have to do is write three pages in a journal every morning. Journaling has always been a challenge for me, but three pages is just enough. I did some journalling while going through some really hard stuff some 20 years ago and know the benefit of it. So, I believe in this excercise and know how much it can do to sort out my scattered ideas and challenges. I'm excited about this! I find myself making good decisions while writing in the morning. Some things are coming up that probalby need to be delt with and have for a  while. I'm the princess of procrastination and perfectionism. I feel like I'm facing my fears.....
The next excercise is what she calls "Artist Dates". It's a date with my artist self, once a week. I haven't really figured this one out yet, but for me it would mean a trip to a gallery alone to enjoy the artwork, or a trip the the art store, something like that.
The other exercise is what the second book, 'Walking', is about. This has done wonders for me. What she says is true for me: No matter what kind of state you might be in physically or mentally, walking will set you free and bring you peace.
I highly recommend these two books.
ps I've been painting and have a few in progress - so I will post some of them soon......

No comments: