I have some likes and dislikes about my study. I do like the organic feel of the piece. My recent larger paintings feel a little too "pretty" to me and I think this practice will help me with that. There is more color in the darks than the photos shows, and this is good, but some of the color is a little muddy.
I've started the 10 week plein air painting course with Brigitte Curt in the Bay Area. I've become attached to her and Jim's teachings, and decided it was worth the drive on Saturday mornings. Two hours and twenty minutes. We are painting in a new location and I'm not sure I like it, but maybe I am not yet inspired. Last Saturday, by the time Brigitte painted her demonstration I was inspired enough to spit one out. I liked the color most and focussed on color harmony. Below are a few tips and reminders that Brigitte talked about while she was painting her demo:
- sketch three value thumbnails before you start to insure a good design and story
- hold your brush so lightly, that if someone were to bump into you, it would fall out of your fingers
- use a transparent underpainting
- remember to choose your light direction
- for the shadow on the ground when you are outside, remember that the shadow color is NOT related to the object that is casting the shadow - it is light in value and more related to the color of the ground
- the darker values will deminish in value in the distance quicker than the lighter objects
- use your lifter like an earaser to wipe out areas or draw in the light
- for your underpainting value remember that the final value will hold better if the underpainting is slightly darker than the final value
- after you paint the underpainting use your mirror to check the composition before you proceed
- use a larger brush with a lighter touch than you think
- go after the mood
- relate the colors in your painting - do not make them compete
- block in using general colors
- back up a lot!
- when you use a color for the block in, such as the tree color, save the brush for later
- sky - use some of the color in your motif and make it into a sky value

No comments:
Post a Comment