Thursday, June 24, 2010

New Demonstration, Class Study, "Ready to Eat"


"Ready to Eat"
Oil on Linen, 9x12"

I painted a demonstration for my oil painting class yesterday at the Capital Art Center. I decided to post the progression of the work, since I had to finish it up from a photo at home today.....

I blocked in the shapes and values FIRST. This has proved to be the best way to achieve success for me. Keep it simple, 3 to 4 values and shapes, a happy composition.
I added more saturated color. I was able to compare the value of the under painting to the colors that i could "see". I went for the rich shadow colors of the grapes first.
At this point you can see that I continued to add more color to the grapes and worked some on the plate. I adjusted the perspective of the plate also.
I'm using more paint! I added the grape in the shadow. I worked in the "light" areas of the painting and tried not to get to much into the idea of painting little grapes. I redefined the shadow areas and put more color in to light of the table.
The plate is looking better. I adjust the shadows on the grapes themselves. I added more light.....
I 'dusted' the painting - "used my paper towel to swipe at it very softly". I like the way it makes the edges softer and makes the light bounce around.....
Here you see I added the stems and just a few more highlights, and a touch of blue in the shadows on the grapes.





2 comments:

Caroline Peña Bray said...

This si a great painting, I really like the soft edges as they add great atmosphere and mood to the piece. Thanks for the progress shots as well, I always find these things very useful. Delighted to have found you and looking forward to following your blog!

Unknown said...

Caroline,
Thank you and welcome. I check out your sight as well. Blessings,
Randy