Vineyard Commission Piece - unfinished - 30 x 48"
I'm working on a commission piece today. I am using a select color scheme for the clients and that makes it more challenging. I have a fabric and wall color swatch at my fingertips.....
I did a couple of studies for their approval and that helps a lot!
I made up a lot of this composition to meet their needs and wants also.
When you take on the challenge of a commission piece a whole new attitude is needed. It comes down to making it work for the client, but also for yourself. I cannot paint something I don't like, so I paint something that is pleasing to me, and at the same time meets the hopes of the folks who will be looking at it, and hopefully enjoying it for a long, long time.
This still has a ways to go, but it is coming along just how I wanted it to. It will have more color in the end, but I''m trying to keep it neutral along the way so I can make the colors pop where I want them to. The under painting is rather bright, in front, where I will be putting in the ground under the vines.This will be nice when I dry brush that area, and let some of the under painting show through. I will add a lot more detail later as well. I'm looking forward to the finished piece, but will have to take it in sections when I can get to it because I have a lot going on this week to get ready for a retreat next weekend. I will get it to the "almost finished" stage in the next day or two, then break until next week to finish if up.
The nice couple who purchased this piece have never had a commission done before. I can tell they really enjoy artwork - paintings - because they have showed me a few of the pieces they have already collected. They are remodeling their home and are having fun with the whole experience.
I'll post the finished piece for you to review.
Now go and enjoy the outdoors.....Randy
2 comments:
I will enjoy following this commission. You are brave to do commissions. I am a little afraid to do them because I may not have the vision that the customer has in mind. How do you accomplish this? Do you paint many commssions?
Linda,
I've done a few. I try to be very considerate of their taste, but at the same time the 9x12 that I painted for them was my vision plus their input. So far, so good.
Thank you Linda for your comments and I enjoy your posts as well.......
Post a Comment