Thursday, March 26, 2009



Yesterday, Wednesday is class day at the S12 Studio in Sacramento. I teach 5 students on a weekly basis. These artists inspire me! I think I learn more than they do because I repeat the fundamentals over and over. I painted this demo yesterday from a photo I took on my kitchen table a couple of years ago. These sunflowers were sooooo red. I bought them at Trader Joe's. I loved the light coming in the window, it was bouncing all over the place! I don't know if I can capture it, but I will try to finish this painting soon and then post it again.

It needs some shadow in the bottom area, a balance in color relationships throughout and some areas to rest the eye. I have to be careful not to make all the flowers the star and keep the focal point on the largest flower. I can do this by creating more color contrast in that area, more edges and the lightest light next to the darkest dark. Then I will need to pay attention to the other areas and soften those edges and keep the chroma more subtle.

Finally, I am getting my studio at home set up. Since our family move about 6 weeks ago, I have been busy with workshops and also with painting for the 50-50 show. Yesterday I took the paintings to the gallery. Whew! Now I can get organized enough to paint in the home studio.

Be sure to let me know if you can come to the artists VIP reception Thursday April 9th at 5:00 PM. I'd love to hear from you and you are sure to enjoy all these little paintings. It is quite an experience. Go to www.20art.net for the address at 20th Street Gallery in Midtown, Sac. RSVP at ranblaz@hotmail.com

No comments: