Been busy with a local show and the reception was last night. Now that is over and I am faced with getting ready for my trip beginning on June 3rd to France to teach a two week workshop at Montfaucon.
More on this later in the week, but I wanted to get this up on the blog..
I'd love your feedback on this one.
3 comments:
It's beautiful, Randy!
I just love it! A fantastic work of yours for sure!
Robert, thank you. I'm also looking for a critique? The photo was not taken in the best light, but I think the silver pot is a little lopsided and I need to add some shadow back into the table in places. Maybe a highlight or two? And what do you see as the focal point? I don't feel that it is strong enough yet..
Ok. I'm happy to offer my views for you, Randy. Thanks for asking.
First, I truly believe the painting is wonderful. I think the fruit, the cobalt jar, the vase of flowers and the background are all just about perfectly fitted together in terms of color, form, composition.
When I look at the painting, my eye goes immediately to the silver pot. The front side (left) of the pot has a hard line where the reflection of the linen meets a shadow line (edge of the table?) towards the top form of the pot. I think the pot is done fantastically, and I just love the way you captured the reflections.
My eye goes to the reflections on the pot, then to the underside of the peach. It's a very warm color, rich, that draws my eye. Then up the blue cobalt vase to the flowers.
I think that that peach and the pot might be evenly competing for attention. Personally, I'd like it if the reflections were toned down a little, deemphasizing the pot, and perhaps enhancing that peach a little bit more to make it the focal point.
If you did want to make the peach the focal point, you could add some darker purple/blue/grey to the inner side of the right part of the bowl and the underside of that peach a bit, maybe add a more highlight to the fuzzy rim of the upper right side of the peach just enough to make it have a bit more attention.
But I'm being genuine when I say that the painting is wonderful. Like I said, my only real issue is that the Pot and the peach compete, with the pot winning a little, but it seems as if the peach area should be the real focal point.
You have a great painting style. As I love Ovanes Berberian and colorist types of work with loose brushiness as well as dramatic light and shadow, this piece really is very wonderful.
It's one of the best ones I've seen of yours and I enjoy it very much.
Post a Comment