Painting In Process from Today
14 x11
Yvette's Kitchen in larger format
I'll continue on this piece, it doesn't have the feel that I want yet.. but had some fun with it today.
A WORD ABOUT WORKSHOPS
This coming June, um, I mean in a couple of weeks, I'll be teaching my first Plein Air Workshop overseas..I've been working on my lesson plans for the group, and it's a great group! This has me thinking about what it
takes to get the most from a workshop..
I should know, I've taught a few and taken a few! I've never had a bad experience, but I've learned a few things about what not to do.
Let's take the student's attitude for instance..
I've seen the most success from students who come to the workshop well prepared..
This means physically, but more important I think is the mental attitude. You need to know how to have the attitude of a student. Show up like you are going to step out of your comfort zone and really try something new. Allow yourself to fully immerse into the workshop and to trust the process. Don't worry about outcome! Do concern yourself with having fun, playing with paint and letting go of fear. Trust me, this will allow for an amazing transition and lots of growth....
Do NOT:
- compare yourself with the other students
- try to paint for anyone but yourself
- stress about the outcome
- hold your breath
- rush the process
- fall into old habits
- expect to take home a masterpiece
- allow yourself to fail (the fastest way to learn)
- take the risk and load the brush
- relax into the process and stay in the moment
- look at the beauty in front of you, and be grateful
- experiment with the technique the instructor has laid out for you
- slow down and breath!
- trust the process
- consider your biggest obstacle and make it a goal to focus on overcoming it

6 comments:
Hi Randy. Thanks for the workshop tips. Just got back from Ovanes' workshop in France. We only had 4 students so it was a unique experience. Will have to connect up to share more.Thanks for your advice before the workshop. If you are headed to France, bring plenty of layers of clothes . It was unusually cold and rainy. we painted outdoors and some days had to wear 2 layers of pants and 6 layers on top. but it was well worth it as I learned a lot and cant' wait to continue back in my studio.
Wow Pat.. let's talk soon..
Words of wisdom.
Appreciate your comments ladies. I love that we can come together and be support to one another. One of the best things about being an artist.
I just love your do's and don'ts list, Randy! Especially about looking at what's in front of you and enjoy!
Seriously, that list is great and I try to practice much of what you have on there. I need to work on loading the brush more with paint. I'd like to get thick juicy swirls like Ovanes on my panels at some point!
The peonies are almost ready. I'm hoping to get a few in an outdoor still life setup and try my first attempts at something like what he and you do...abstract colorist type expressions of those wonderful flowers! they're my favorite!
I really enjoy watching your posts! thanks for doing what you do!
Robert. I love your idea of painting peonies out of doors.. It's all about the light. If you can capture the feeling of outdoors you will have done excellent!
And use lots of paint. It seems hard to do but once you get the paint on it is available to you to manipulate, which is nice. I have to tell myself this all the time..
Post a Comment