Saturday, July 7, 2012

About the Original Concept of a Painting

Oil on Linen, 18x18" by Randy Blasquez

I'm texturing my canvases with a heavy layer of gesso and then I throw on some marble dust, after that I move it around and into the gesso and let it dry. It creates a wonderful surface for my multiple layers of glazing. Quite fun and interesting. I came up with this as a way to get myself to paint loose drippy paintings starting with an abstract design.
Design is the most important part of a painting. I've written about the notan study, a simple way of sketching a small number of values and shapes, in previous posts. What I'm looking for when I sketch is a way to create what I want to say with the painting. My goal is to tell the story of contrast while creating movement for the eye to follow. I do this by  paying attention to the melody of the dark pattern. Try drawing your sketches in different formats and pick the one that tells your story in the most clear way. While painting I am working to stay connected to the original response I had to the original idea while hoping and praying that it comes across in the final piece.
I'm working on some new paintings for my gallery in Carmel by the Sea, Gallerie Amsterdam. I'm scheduled to paint a couple of demonstrations on the weekend of August 18th and 19th. Just finished one and thought I'd put it out there.
I'm taking a few new paintings to the gallery next month and I will also post them on the website in a few weeks. Stop by and take a look!

No comments: