This is a subject that is dear to my heart. I'm not sure why, maybe it is because that is what I'm seeing in great works of art.
Ovanes Berberian sure has had an influence also I must say. This past May while in the France he took us to Paris by train from the Burgundy region, to see his favorite works in the Musee' du Louvre, and Musee' D'orsey. Before that I took my class to see the Edgar Payne exhibit at the Crocker Art Museum. We practiced this concept by sketching his paintings in Notan. But before that, when I began to understand the concept, it really affected me, and my work. I began teaching this way a while ago. I'm not sure how long.
I believe that our eyes are drawn to this abstract design. Or maybe it is our heart that sees it first, through our eyes. For example, if you notice a painting from across the room, and you are compelled to walk towards it and get a closer look, it is because it has a beautiful abstract design.
What is an abstract design? I'm not sure I can describe it perfectly, you see, it is rather ah, should I say, abstract?
When I first began to see the importance of this concept I was finally getting the idea of the Notan Sketch. I heard the term first mentioned in some reading material I acquired from Barry John Raybould. This was the beginning and I think a very helpful concept. These past few weeks I have begun to teach the Notan sketch to my students. (Peggy Kroll-Roberts also talks about the notan design.)
When you take the time to do at least two or three of these during the initial design of your composition you will begin to see the abstract design of what you are trying to say. You will begin to see the pattern of light and pattern of shadow. I think of this pattern, this design, as a description of the musical sort. (Think of musical notes, moving in a rhythmic pattern, not a concise design.) Never should it be less than, or more than that. Hint: This is what our eye sees across the room.
A Notan is divided into large value shapes, using only 2 or 3 and not more than 4 values.
Study this concept and put it into practice. You will see the results.....
After my trip to France, I had a wonderful week with my husband in New York City. It was my first time to the Metropolitan Museum. I was blown away by the paintings of John Singer Sargent. Can you see the abstract patterns of design?
2 comments:
Great post. Thanks for the little review!
Thx Pam, glad it made sense to you. Do you want to explore this topic a little further?
Randy
Post a Comment