Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The Exploration of Painting....

New Painting - Lily's and Light
Oil on Linen     20x20x1.5"
When I first started painting and I was in the middle of studying other artists and their work, I noticed that (almost all of them), their work seemed to move into a more abstract style over the years.

I think it's true that, after you have a very good understanding and some experience with the fundamentals of painting, you can then go beyond the rules (I call them guidelines), and get out of your comfort zone as a way to develop your skills and creative imagination. This, in turn, will lead to better self expression in your paintings.

A good example of this is Dan McCaw. His was one of the first books I purchased, and I'm glad I did as it is and has been out of print for many years. (He is supposed to be in the middle of writing 2 more books). Anyway I will post some examples below:




The first painting is closer to the way he was painting 15 or 20 years ago. The second one is a more conservative example of the way he paints today.

You can see that even 20 years ago he was not a representational painter. But also you can see the obvious progression into a more abstract style. On his website he differentiates them by calling one traditional and contemporary.

Another good example is C.W.Mundy. I've had the privilege of working with C.W. and he is all about exploration, as is Dan. I also love painters like James Kroner. Very abstract. I love this!

Today I am enjoying this experience. Not that I am or will ever be where I want to be, but I do find it very freeing to get into a painting, put away the photograph, and play. The problem is that my brush wants to automatically go back to representation. So I have to stay very conscious of my effort.

Use new tools, try the palette knife, a rubber spatula or a roller! I think it's a great way to develop your skills and your imagination. You have to go over the top at first in order to get out of the rut, so go wild!





No comments: