Friday, March 29, 2013
Edgar Payne Exercise
I studied with Jim Smyth and Brigitte Curt at the California Academy of Painters in Palo Alto California for a number of years. These are two wonderful teachers who changed my life.
Go to their website for the school to see their work and class schedule. http://www.classart.org/classes.html
They also offer a workshop in Provence every year.
Brigitte suggests this wonderful exercise for learning to see and compose the landscape using the Edgar Payne "Composition of Outdoor Painting" book. Click here for the exercise details.
It will be worth your while. If you want to learn to paint in "plein air", or study to figure, it's worth the trip to the Bay Area to paint with them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Hi Randy:
I've done those exercises myself. They are fantastic ways to learn the various compositions for landscapes. That little book is so very powerful.
I know there's a whole east coast vs. west coast thing going on at times, (Carlson vs. Payne) but both books are fabulous.
There's a book, "The Scenic Journey" that was recently produced for a Payne exhibit. It's an outstanding book. Highly recommended, high-quality, and fantastic information about him.
I used that book and did more of the composition exercises by drawing thumbnails of the paintings within from the finished paintings that were represented.
They were pretty straight forward because he uses a lot of similar motifs and shapes.
Good luck with them! They are very powerful!
I have heard this before and yet - I still have not initiated this practice.
I will make it a point starting today.
Thank you, Randy, for sharing the gems to your success.
Eva, you will love this..
Robert, I just got the book and love it. In the next weeks I will share about another exercise we are doing in class using paint! I'm loving that too...
The Edgar Payne book is one of my study guides for plein air painting, Randy. Also love the Emile Gruppe book on color in the landscape, and have utilized his use of the limited palette. Your work is BEAUTIFUL!
Claire thank you for your kind words of encouragement. Yes, Payne seems to be instrumental in a lot of artists learning process...
Glad to know you..
Post a Comment