This week at the School of Light and Color we are starting a series of small cropped studies. I asked the students to use their view catcher and zoom in on the still life by cropping 2 sides of the composition.
This is always a fun way to see new patterns and shapes. This week we painted our studies using only burnt umber and white - starting with only 3 values. After we blocked in the 3 values by connecting the large shapes together, we mixed 2 more values, a mid-light and a mid-dark. Then and only then are you allowed to paint the reflections and highlights.
This is the way I paint just about everything. I try to start from the abstract design first, and move toward the description of the subject only so far as needed to say what I want to say - the concept or idea.
So simple huh?
Next week we will paint the same subject and design, using red and green and white only. Will be interesting so stay tuned.
7 comments:
It's always a nice and interesting subject!
That's a good discipline for creating compelling paintings. I resisted doing them for so long, but my paintings always seem to be stronger when I take the time to do a value study first.
That's a good discipline for creating compelling paintings. I resisted doing them for so long, but my paintings always seem to be stronger when I take the time to do a value study first.
Pat, yes it took me a long time to learn that it's worth the time and preparation. Most often I use the Pitt value brush pens to do a thumbnail. But I don't start until I'm really happy with the design of dark and light patterns...
Sylviane, Thank you - so true!
I love this little painting and keep striving to achieve this kind of freedom and simplicity. All of your writing is also very helpful, great instruction!
Lorraine,
Thank you for your comment. I love sharing this stuff. It's nice to be in such good company.
Post a Comment