Thursday, August 2, 2012

Some savvy advice from Robert Genn

Manhattan Bistro
Oil on Linen  12x12" 

Another good blogpost from Robert. I can truly relate to this one as I have been taking more time to paint even small paintings. That's because I am layering with glazes. I do have to put my heart into it and I guess that's good. The challenge is like Robert says, to paint it slow and keep it fresh.....



Slow down to speed up

August 3, 2012

Dear Randy,

It's warm and muggy beside this froggy pond. I'm the shiny guy wearing the Deep Forest Off. Nearby, an Oregon towhee rummages in the undergrowth. In the distance, a barred owl is being harassed by resident robins. With no immediate obligations and practically no guilt, I'm moving slower than a spotted slug.

After years of jumping directly into painting, these days I've been casually drawing things out with a soft pencil. Also, trying to please myself, I'm judiciously glazing work in progress with red oxide--a colour I've previously found unpleasant.

Funnily, Irene Feeney of Roscommon, Ireland, just wrote, "I'm one who struggles to be pleased. I'm also speedy; I complete a painting in a day where another person might take weeks. It may be that my attention to detail is not so accurate, but I like to work fast. I find it hard to work at one section; I look at the whole painting as I work. Maybe this is something I need to harness. Do you think this may be my downfall?"

Thanks, Irene. I'm not going to comment on your downfall, but I do have a few thoughts on fast and slow. The virtue of a painting may not be accuracy, but feeling. Further, taking your time to feel what you're painting is more important than speedy delivery. In both feeling and execution, some folks are naturally faster than others. That you have identified yourself as one of the speedy is just great.

Speedy painters tend to do fresher work than pokey ones. On the other hand, they are also responsible for a lot of the messy stuff you see out there. Just for the sake of change, you might try forcibly slowing down. It's the "extra time" concept. It has something to do with gently living in the present and focusing on the potential of the work at hand. It can be done at the edge of a froggy pond or in a studio sanctuary. One needs to become aware of the relative time between stroking and contemplating. "Look three times, think twice, paint once," is a time-honoured shibboleth. Here's the ploy: Make a work of art that looks like it was done freshly and quickly--but take a long time to do it. 

Best regards,

Robert

No comments: