![]() | |
| Still Life Study by Randy Blasquez 10x12" Oil on Linen Panel $350 |
Painting from life, inside or outside requires first deciding on the boundary or size of your canvas. My favorite shortcut to this is to use a viewfinder. Think of looking through a camera to see your subject. My favorite one on the market is called the "View Catcher", and was invented by artist, Patti Andre'.
The View Catcher will adjust to the size your require with a simple slide of the handle. I like to do two or better, three thumbnail sketches of my subject in different sizes before I decide on my composition. This way I know I have conjured up some creative ideas - a sampling of shapes, values and borders.
The way it works is that it will block out the area around your subject while you adjust the distance from your eyes. Move it until you find a pleasing composition. It will allow you to zoom way in and crop for a dramatic composition or pull back and away to allow more into it.
For more information go to www.viewcatcher.com

2 comments:
Thanks for all the Ovanes notes! i read them, but have to reread them to get it all. I know others who have taken his workshop and just rave also!
i am agreed with your post and thanks for such a nice blog as its useful to us.
Post a Comment