Tuesday, November 3, 2009

What's This About Edges?



STILL LIFE SET UP
DO YOU SEE WHERE THE EDGES ARE SHARP AND WHERE THEY ARE SOFT, OR LOST?


When an artist talks about edges, what are they talking about? I let this issue go for a number of years because I didn't really get it. I thought I understood the idea, but I really didn't know how to make edges "speak" in my paintings. Sadly, I am only capable of digesting one concept at a time when it comes to growing as an artist. Edges are an important concept in a painting. It helps the viewer "see" what you want them to see.
It seems there are at least 4 TYPES OF EDGES that we need to pay attention to. You may want to begin with a still life set up. Try to use a single light source. We are doing this in my weekly classes. Study the edge qualities of your set up. Are the edges hard, firm, soft or lost?
HARD edges contrast sharply. Use these edges in your focal point.
FIRM edges are less sharp than hard edges. Use these edges to direct the eye in your painting.
SOFT edges are fuzzy. Use these in the areas away from your focal point or focus, in areas such as the distance in a landscape, or when the side of an object blends into the surrounding area somewhat.
LOST edges are very useful and fade into the area around it. Very little or no contrast is visible.
Rounded objects have softer edges. Square objects have sharper edges. When you study what you "see" pay attention to the edges, and reflect those in your painting. If you find it necessary to move the edges around to say what you want to say about your subject, edges can be a wonderfully useful tool.
This is one of those principles in painting that just takes a lot of practice. For me, if I'm not paying strict attention to the edges in my painting, I am created too many "lines". One good thing that I've learned is that I don't have to paint the edges perfect from the beginning of the painting - I can actually decide later in the process and go back into those edges with adjustments. If I have to I will repaint an area to get the edges right. Just keep painting and "seeing" and it will come.

No comments: