Sunday, October 25, 2009

In Progress...

I photographed some recent works in progress today and thought I would open it up for a critique/comment blog entry.


This is Gena in Provence, the underpainting and semi finished study. I plan to do a larger painting. Gena, (I'll call her that because I cannot pronounce or spell her complete name) lives in Belgium and was a guest of Brigitte and Jim at the Provence Workshop. She is a watercolorist - a very good one. I very much enjoyed her company, and even though she spoke mostly French I felt we had a special connection.
I started with a very warm (transparent oxide red) underpainting, the color of the dirt in that area. I took this painting to Brigitte on Saturday for a critique. She pointed out a couple of things to consider and suggested I paint it again. I'm looking forward to it.


This is a painting I did last January for Michael, my husbands birthday. He loves to golf. I finished it in a hurry and framed it so I could give it to him in time for his birthday. I've always planned to go back and fix a couple of problems, then varnish it. This is the time for comments. Then I'll let you know what I plan to do. You probably see it too.





One more for today, and I'll post some more tomorrow. This is another study from Provence. I'm using a photograph this time. Jim Smyth suggested to me that it might be wise to use a technique from the Reilly Method he learned some years ago. Two studies. One a value study and another a color study. Both small and painted on canvas in a little thumbnail size format. Very usefull. I will introduce this to my students this week also. Please let me know if you'd like more info about this method.
See ya soon!

No comments: