Thursday, August 22, 2013

30 paintings in 30 days...


still life study   12 x 12"

Coming up next month, Leslie Saeta will again host the challenge "30 paintings in 30 days". She has just posted about it TODAY. Go to this link and read up! Leslie Saeta 30 Paintings in 30 Days Blog


I've talked with my students about jumping on board with me in September to paint 30 little ones, for 30 days. If you have not tried this, you might be surprised at just how much you will gain from the exercise.
Years ago I took my first challenge to paint 50 paintings in 50 days. I did this for three years straight for a gallery show downtown called "20th Street Gallery". It was a wonderful gallery that is no longer in business. But they started this and juried 50 artists that first year to paint 50 paintings. Then they hung the show and it was spectacular!

This is when I first learned the value of daily painting. After the first few days, my paintings began to paint themselves. Okay, well maybe not paint themselves, but it got so much easier and quicker. My confidence grew as my brushstrokes got better. I also began to like the daily practice. There was something about getting into the habit of painting every day. I had heard that it was a really good practice for artists, but of course I had to experience it myself to believe it.

So when Leslie posted her challenge last January, I jumped on board. Again, it was well worth the effort. A few students joined in and they agree that it was very valuable. So once again I want to encourage you all to join in..

The details are posted on Leslies Blog Leslie's Blog
You can sign up there on Leslie's site and post your paintings. And, like Leslie says, nobody will even notice if you miss a day or a few days. Just do it for yourself and see what happens.

Also, if you have a painting or three that you would like critiqued, send me an email alogn with photos of your work and I'll be happy to give you a constructive and kind critique of your overall painting style and/or one or two paintings individually.

So let's do it!

3 comments:

Eva Marie Tanner-Klaas said...

This will be fun.

Unknown said...

Great Eva! You do this already anyway. R

Anonymous said...

I signed up.

I may do 30 plein air works...at least that's what I'm going to try. And when the weather is horrible, I'll substitute a studio work.

Should be interesting to see if anything happens on the learning end as well as the marketing end of things, too!

Thanks for sharing the fun!