Friday, May 14, 2010

Wednesday's Oil Painting Class Demo




Wednesday's Oil Painting Class Demo

We had a full class Wednesday and I set up a still life that was inspiring, (to me anyway!)
I loved the beautiful colors and shapes within this set up - also the dramatic light situation.

I wanted to paint bold, expressive shapes and explained to the class how important it is to begin a painting with the abstract in mind. I instructed them to use three values and three shapes only - for starters. This will help you see the beauty in the dark shapes against the beauty of the light shapes........
After you get that far, look at your abstract composition before going further. 

Use a mirror. Walk away and look. Squint at your setup! Look for beautiful flowing darks that move your eye. See the lighted shapes and how they are leading you on a journey. Look for movement in your painting. If your eyes are pleased by what you see, move on to more paint.....

I will post the next stage later today and then the finished piece so stay tuned.