After the initial lay in you can see in the previous post that I wiped out the lights, being sure to keep the shapes very simple while looking for the lights and darks, and very importantly the movement of the darks through the painting.
At this point I checked to be sure I was happy with the lyrical feel of the piece. This is very important, and this is the time to get it right. The basic structure has to be pleasing to the eye or you will be building a painting "on the sand".
I began to lay in the color, shadows first, then the lights (opaque colors). At this point I mixed some "general" color piles on my palette, using plenty of paint. I was keeping in mind that I need not go too light until much later in the process. I am always keeping in mind that when I'm working in the light I am staying the the light values- and when I'm working in the darks I am staying in the darker piles.
I am using a more transparent approach in the darks and more opaque paint in the light and middle values. Although the middle value at this point is still a lot of the under painting.
Here I have continued to work in color while adjusting shadows and lights, comparing one to the next, adjusting again.
More paint, more juicy cantaloupe color. I used as much "rich" color as I could, staying away from adding white. I used hansa yellow/orange, mixed with cad red, rose, and naples light.
I added the reflected lights on the table, being careful to keep the edges soft and the color muted.
A few more lights.....
and adjustments....
and final touches....
I really laid on the paint at this point, scooping up the paint from my mixed piles. I added some lines and edges, and softened some areas.
"JUICY FRUIT"
Oil on Linen 16x20"
by Randy Blasquez
8 comments:
Hey Randy, looks like you've reached a new plateau with this one~ Really beautiful :-)
What an interesting flow through the process! You captured beautiful color on a sound and pleasing composition. Nice nice work!
This has been extremely informative and helpful. I enjoy the composition and quality of the light in this painting.
Terry - Very kind words, especially from the master! I am encouraged, thank you!
Linda, Thanks again for posting your comment....I love hearing from you.....
I have a new appreciation for still through my own work. I've never been drawn to it as an observer, but having done some serious studies, now, I has a new-found respect for painting simple things. Thanks or showing us the process here. My favorite part of painting is watching the forms come to life- and you did that beautifully here! Of to cut some melon- I'm suddenly hungry.
Carolyn!
I'm so happy you found the blog, it lead me to you blogsssss. Very Cool. I can't wait to dig in and read.
I have a new found respect for painting simple things too, and it can't get too simple. I don't know why, but it seems like we all start out wanting to paint the things God himself would find challenging. Well, maybe not God, but surely the best artists out there. It takes time to really see the beauty in the simple but poetic light bouncing in and out of a still life.
Blessings....
I'm finally making time for a little blogging! Your website is so nice and your work is so beautiful! It's nice to have been on this painterly journey with you for the past few years - let's stay connected!
Hi Randy!
It's been a while since I've stopped over, so I thought I'd do that and say hello!
This painting is a good composition and I enjoyed following along. I hope you are doing well in your new studio and that you are finding peace and happiness with that blessing.
Keep up the posts, and I'll keep up the following and reading of the knowledge you share!
God bless,
Bob
Post a Comment