| Just White, by Randy Blasquez, 30 x 30 x 1.5" |
Just wanted to let you all know that I'm still out here. The holidays this year were wonderful, but I got off to a late start as far as planning goes and I thought I'd let you know what I'm up to lately.
Classes are going great. What a blessing it is to work with a student over a period of time, and see tremendous progress. I'm starting to really see what happens when a student comes in and wants to learn to paint after perhaps many years of thinking about it. It can be daunting to be sure, but with a little encouragement and some continued effort, a little light begins to shine. When I see this little light begin to shine, I know that this particular student has been reading about art, visiting art galleries and museums and sketching. These are all huge in the scheme of things if you want to grow. And the next thing you know this student is stepping out of their comfort zone again and taking another workshop with a new instructor. They might begin to see where their weaknesses are, and address them by taking a drawing class. Or they might try painting the same paintings again, only working out the flaws. But when I have a student that brings in her/his work from home to share with me, I know they are on the train to success. They are on the train to success because they are doing what it takes, making time to paint and paint and paint....
This is when I get excited about their excitement about painting, because I remember how that feels, and still does. It feels like a whole lot of joy!
So, as this year begins to come together I know I want to take some classes with Terry Miura and glean some of that beautiful design juice from him. The way he is painting the figure right now is amazing.
I have decided what shows I want to enter if I can get my act together, but I have not set my sights too high.
I'm considering renting a studio space close to the school. Just looking around right now.
I'm hoping to go to the Weekend with the Masters event in September in San Diego.
And I've been busy painting some large scale paintings for a new gallery. I am ready to make delivery in a couple of weeks so I decided to share one of them with you today. The rest will get posted after all is said and done, and you just never know.
5 comments:
I love painting white. It offers so many choices. After all white light includes all the colors.
Watching students really develop is one of my favorite things. I teach to beginners. Most have never picked up a brush. It brings me great joy when I see them blossom and get really excited about what they're learning. And I have to agree, those that choose to paint on their own at home, develop the quickest.
Susan, Didn't know you taught beginners also. It's nice to know we share that, not so many beginning teachers out there. Thanks for the comment.
That painting is beautiful, Randy. I can't wait for the next class.
Eva, looking forward to it and thanks, glad you like it. Flowers again today my friend!
Post a Comment