It's nice to be home today. I get to paint in between my chores of course. I'm working on a special Christmas project with an actual deadline, but also I'm starting with some seascapes from last weekend. Just practice while I can remember something.
On Day two at the workshop Ovanes was kind enough to do another demo and then continue to paint 5 paintings in a matter of about 2 hours. Amazing. He didn't talk about his process as much as the day before and used a little different approach, with no under painting this time.
I painted a little larger and bit off a little more than I could chew....Now when I see his paintings and see mine, he uses even more grays than I thought. I need to use more mixed grays. (mental note to self)
This is his palette set up in the studio
The best part came that evening. We were invited to his Carmel-by-the-Sea home where he set up his studio in what would otherwise be a living room. He had prepared a beautiful table of vegetables roasted and European cheeses, crackers and flat bread, fruit and wine. He set up a large canvas, what looked to me to be about 48x60. He set up an amazingly beautiful table of vases, fruit, silver trays, a silver sugar bowl, a beautiful throw, etc. He put the music on and at about 9pm he started to paint. When he does a demo like this he does not talk at all. The room is quiet. With the exception of one short break he painted till midnight.
No comments:
Post a Comment